Wednesday, April 05, 2006

My First Night After Chemo

Well it wasn't kittens and puppies licking me all night but it wasn't as bad as those hang overs we have all had. I have learned my lesson really fast about Chemo. You don't want to eat crappy food like cheese bread and fondue. OK OK OK I get it I have to be healthy or I will feel like crap. Last night was a long night with just enough discomfort to keep me from sleeping but not enough to make me take all of the medicines they wanted me to. However I did finally call my doctor on call just to make sure I wasn't having a heart attack. They told me the medicine for my white blood cells might make my joints hurt, well it did. Many may not think of the sternum as a joint but after a brief discussion with the doc last night I was reminded that all of our ribs attach to our sternum and so we have 24 little joints right over our heart that might be affected (sorry Bob can't remember your lesson e or a) by this stuff. As always I am a high achiever so all 24 joints hurt like hell. I will also say that if you are thinking you are having a heart attach and you have just had 5 lymph nodes removed from your left arm and a cancer tumor in your left boob it might make it a little hard to know if the pain is radiating into your left arm or not. The good news is I watched all that late night TV until 4:00 AM I never get to see since we usually go to bed about 9:00 every night. Did you all know that Jay and Conan replay around 2:00AM.

Once again I have to say Tom has been there for me as has his wonderful work place, Horizon Air. We got off to a very slow start this morning and we are blessed Horizon works with him on his schedule so he can be with me. This is not an Ad for Horizon but it would be a pretty good one. We are finding they really do care about their employees and family members. In fact the insurance company Great West has been just as wonderful and a true blessing. They have assigned a personal nurse to me for all of my needs and concerns and have not hassled us on any of my procedures or medicine needs. When we hear crappy stories every day about down sizing and bad employers Tom and I feel blessed he works for Horizon. Fly Horizon or Alaska when you can. Hey do you think they might pay me for this?

Lots of love to all of you